Tuesday, November 11, 2008

a word on balding in a cool way


one day, not too long ago, i pricked myself with a felled hair from my own born coif. i'm asian, you see, so in high school i was known for maybe three discerning characteristics- verbal ability, vertical leap, and the aforementioned 3-d sideburns. but for all the grief incurred as a result of the genetic differences between myself and my mostly jewish and anglo-saxon counterparts, i was pretty fond of my hair. i rocked a little giants bowl cut as a child that transformed into some admittedly almost boy band-do which then begat a grown out clooney look that i favored into post adolescence. i grew it out one year, brushed off my mom's protests, laughed-off the newly won nickname of "sherpa," and was not surprised when some of those haters started to grow out their ish too. so i was understandably distraught sometime in my early 20s when my hair began to fall out.

in the long and shortlist of abject male horrors, hairloss falls somewhere between impotence and conscription. i will not get into the details of which factors are to be blamed for said hairloss, though i will say that i am by no means bald, but now opt for a more tightly kept buzzcut, which at first made me look slightly chicano- customers at the footlocker where i worked would approach me spouting spanish, looking for A!-you-ROH-pah sizes- but has more recently grown into me and i into it. it could be better- could be worse. i think i rock it pretty well for now.

so in lieu of the release of the 22nd bond film, this month's "quantum of solace," headlined by the thinly-coiffed Daniel Craig (admittedly sporting a more volumized do this time around), here's a look at a few other dudes that have managed to do their damn thing in the face of recession:






No comments: