Monday, November 10, 2008

Unalienable Rights

I am not gay, but I find it sad that I feel the need to make my sexual orientation known in order to make a point. As a human being, I strongly believe that everyone should have the right to find happiness as long as there is no intent to harm another. I decided to write about this topic because it has been on my mind for a minute and tonight on his show, Keith Olbermann dedicated his "Special Comment" to this issue (see the video below).

As an American, I have been taught that this country was founded as a safe haven for people escaping discrimination and that one of the most prized gifts of American citizenship is each person's unalienable right to pursue happiness.

As a member of the Mormon faith, I have been taught and have come to believe that while God is perfect, we are all imperfect, and that despite our imperfections, God loves us all equally.

As a minority, I have felt the cruel effects of negative discrimination.

As a person that feels I know that the greatest ability we have is to love another, to have pure unadulterated feelings of selflessness, and that a simple sacrifice can have a longer lasting effect than what money can buy.

I have no anger towards any person who makes the decision that they believe is right. The beauty of life is that no matter what, we have the freedom of choice.

The following sentence might sound ironic: I believe that people are afraid of the unknown and the differences they find in others.

After doing some research on Proposition 8 in California, I found that religious institutions would not have been affected by a vote against Prop8. They would have been able to continue teaching their beliefs without worrying about losing their tax exempt status.

Some of you who read this might not see eye to eye with me on this issue, and I am fine with that. All I ask is for everyone to continue to do what they feel is right, to seek out and resolve doubtful feelings when they arise, and to do unto others as you would have them do unto you.


link

No comments: