Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Something To Read

Feld brought to my attention that Esquire has put up on their web site what they consider the seven best stories ever told on their pages.
The link.


I love magazines and my collection of over 700 should attest to my claim that Esquire once was a great mag that now is good and sometimes flirts with greatness. The May 2005 issue was one of those great moments.

I had been living in Venezuela for over six months and I was starting to miss my American mags. To compensate I took a lil voyage to a luxury hotel in a not-so-close neighboring town with the only intention of raiding their bookshop. That day I spent roughly $43 on three magazines. The Esquire being the only one I still own.

Some people are amazing storytellers; and of the amazing ones some only need a paragraph while others can take up a thousand pages to tell their story. One of the greatest stories I have ever read was told on only a few pages of that May 2005 Esquire. It is "The Story of Cadillac Man and the Land of the Lost Souls," told by Cadillac Man himself.

I'm not sure what drew me in, maybe the realness of it or just the simple adventures of a homeless man in New York, but whatever it was he got me and I would thank him to his face if I could. For that reason I was surprised that the story wasn't included in the list of 7 best. Weak.

Now I have only read the story twice, once the day I got it and once more the following day. I have refused to read it again out of fear that it might not be as good as the last time and I'm ok with that. However, I do implore you to read it with the hope that you find it to be as good as I remember it to be.
The link to arguably the greatest story ever told.

No comments: