Monday, January 19, 2009

You've Gotta Fight For Your Right To PAARRRRTY


"From every mountainside, let freedom ring.
And when this happens, when we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Back in fourth grade, MLK day came around and I was stuck in school. Being the slacker that I was I wanted a way out. I knew of the man and had an idea of his legend and realized he would be a good enough reason to complain. After expressing my desire to some fellow classmates we decided to hold a protest. As my memory recalls we made signs, came up with some chant, and marched through the halls. The next year we had the day off.

Since then I have really began to appreciate what MLK did and what he stood for. He had a dream and 40 years plus change the climax of his dream is being lived. There are times when I find myself youtubing some of his speeches and reading some of his letters just so I can feel his love. He loved everyone despite what society said and even today that is hard to find. Thank you Dr. King.

Being the only black poster on this blog, and the only active one left (who said black people are lazy?), this moment in history is quite special. I never would have thought that by electing a man such as Obama, it would have such a profound effect on the world and its psyche, but it has. I hope good things happen from here on out, not to make a point or prove people wrong, but to bring unity and happiness and to feel free. We all deserve to be happy.

No comments: