Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Show-off


I watched the Golden Globes Sunday night. I try to catch them every year because I like watching people receive acknowledgment for their talents, whether their talents be in art, sports, knowledge, etc. Sunday night people were rewarded for their ability to make me believe they are someone else partaking in a real act that brings about real emotion. Some great actors were rewarded. One actor in particular stood out to me: Kate Winslet.

I have been a long time fan of Ms. Winslet. I am of the crowd that believes that she is unequivocally one of the top 15 actors currently working. Over the years she has shown her ability to really make others believe in the make-belief. Yet, her acceptance speech for Best Actress in a Drama for Revolutionary Road irked me. I could not shake the feeling that this chick was acting like she had never won anything before. After all her accomplishments and accolades and awards she decided to act like a lil kid tasting cotton candy for the first time. I was happy for her, but still, I felt like it was just going to be another award to go next to her Oscars.

The next day I found out that I'm an idiot. Despite her resounding skills, Sunday night was the first time Kate Winslet has ever won anything. Congatulations.

No comments: