Wednesday, April 29, 2009

baby you the best, you the best i ever had: drake cakes and a little haterad

i remember when justin timberlake got that crucifix tat, dropped britney and then the justified album shortly thereafter. i remember the absence of trepidation when he got on stage with the clipse at the 02 vma's and how that pairing made me less embarrassed to have actually downloaded the last nsync album in its entirety. and somehow by transitive property, because clipse=gully, and clipse endorsed timbo, timbo=gully and i was ok for having surreptitiously left myself voicemails of myself singing "gone" to see what i sounded like. right?

which brings me to degrassi high. for a brief time in college, some friends and i would get together and watch degrassi high: the next generation. now for those of y'all who read this blog and, like me, are also heterosexual males and share my penchant for justin timberlake and degrassi high and are still reading this right now, i'm sure you remember jimmy, the wheel chair bound former basketball star. for those of you who read this blog, are heterosexual males, share my penchant for justin timberlake and degrassi high, are still reading this right now, remember jimmy...

let me start over.

you know how radio plays the same three songs all day over and over again with a brief pause in the middle for the old school at noon? here in jerz those three songs are "we like her too" by li'l wayne, "knock you down" by keri hilson, and "best i ever had" aka "you the f^ckin best" by drake.

who's drake you might ask? none other than jimmy from degrassi high. and somehow this fact eluded me even as i skimmed through all the "who's next?" posts (drake, charles hamilton, blu & exile, asher roth, cory gunz, etc. - answer is nobody) on boxden and realraptalk and their ilk. anyway, i'm not gonna lie, dude is kinda nice.

which leads me to my real question. i thought timbo's cross over was impressive, but how are you gonna cross over from a teen dramedy on nogin to doing tracks with li'l wayne and singing your own hooks, getting signed to hip hop since 1978 and whatnot? and you're canadian? i played it all wrong man. i never should've said no to that guest spot on "the parent hood." word to zaria.

here's the mp3.

Best I Ever Had - Drake

No comments: